Let’s close out this fantabulous OBX week with a fantabulous OBX Bucket List!
This is a great list courtesy of Ms. Colleen. Danke for the awesome OBX tips!
Top 10 OBX Tips No One Will Tell You
- Arrive on Friday or Sunday to beat the traffic. You’ll be glad you did. If you are able, just come a day early and bunk with a friend or an inexpensive hotel. (The newly remodeled OBX Inn gives our guests 15% off!)
- Off! Bug repellant does not work like you want it to. Ever. Neither does citronella candles. Here’s a secret tip – although, I can’t vouch for its effectiveness – put a dryer sheet in your pocket. Seriously. That’s what the people in the know tell me. I just report the news…or tips in this case.
- DO NOT, under any circumstances, drink and drive. Cabs are cheap and plentiful. Use them every time. Yes, every time.
- Crossing the bypass on foot is always risky. We have many out-of-town drivers who are looking everywhere except where you are walking.
- You can get from Kitty Hawk to Nags Head by using the Beach Road, and there are no stoplights! Just break for pedestrians! Slow cruise, but very scenic.
- If you read my OBX Eats blog, you know all the great places to eat (but I’m not telling you here!)
- Call your restaurant of choice before leaving the house. Many will hold a table for you if you are on your way.
- Do something outdoorsy, other than sitting on the beach each day. Stand-up paddle boarding, surf lessons, kayak trips, horseback riding in Hatteras, even outdoor wine tastings are available! Try something new each year.
- Our off-season is remarkable. Each year we fry our Thanksgiving turkey wearing shorts and t-shirts. Give October or November a try!
- Skip a chain restaurant and go for something locally owned. Many places are members of the Outer banks Catch which means the seafood is LOCAL, LOCAL, LOCAL (and fresh, fresh, fresh!)
Bonus Tip: Have fun!